Lemon & Lime Meringue Pie
350g ready prepared shortcrust pastry
6 Tbsp cornflour
Juice and rind of 3 lemons
Juice and rind of limes
175g caster sugar
4 large eggs, separated
150g caster sugar
3 tsp cornflour
1. Preheat the oven to Gas 6, 200C. Lightly oil the Pyrex dish.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the dish. Bake blind for 15 minutes, remove the baking beans and reduce the heat to Gas 4, 180C. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Mix the 6 Tbsp cornflour with the water in a medium pan. Add the lemon and lime rind and juice and bring slowly to the boil, stirring all the time until thickened.
4. Remove from the heat, cool slightly then beat in the sugar and egg yolks. Pour into the pastry case.
5. Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, then whisk in half of the 150g sugar and the cornflour. Fold in the remainder of the sugar and pile the meringue on top of the filling.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden.