This quick-to-mix chocolate sponge is soft, moist and not too sweet. For a really professional finish spread the cake with a smooth cocoa icing.
Cake Ingredients (Serves 12):
275g caster sugar
175g soft margarine
1 tsp vanilla essence
175g low-fat natural yogurt
225g self-raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C/gas3. Grease a 23cm tin and line with greaseproof paper. Dust the inside of the tin with flour, then tap out excess.
2. Beat caster sugar and margarine until smooth in a bowl. Beat in eggs, vanilla essence and yogurt. Sift in flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda. Stir until fully combined. Spoon mixture into prepared tine and level the surface..
3. Bake cake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Put tin on a wire rack. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack to cool completely.
For The Icing
50g soft margarine
350g icing sugar
walnut halves to decorate
1. For the icing, melt margarine in a pan and stir in cocoa. Heat gently, stirring until combined. Remove from heat. Stir in milk and icing sugar until mixture is smooth and blended.
2. Spread icing evenly over top and side of cake. Arrange walnuts around top edge. Leave icing to set for 10 minutes before serving.